I apologize that I don’t have a fancier term for this refreshing beverage. This drink is a staple in Filipino households and it’s super simple to make. It’s just cantaloupe, water, and sugar.
Traditionally, a melon scraper is used, similar to this:
You can buy the scraper online or in a Filipino market if you have one near you. I, however, did not have a scraper so I used my handy food processor with the grater attachment. Using a scraper would yield slightly larger and longer strips of melon. The food processor is a good alternative and I don’t recommend a mandoline or box grater for this as it would be too messy and dangerous (those melons are slippery).
To start, cut and de-seed a very cheap accutane sale ripe cantaloupe then cut it into spears.
Add the large grater attachment to the food processor and shred the melon.
Get a large pitcher and add the grated melon and juice along with water and sugar. The quantity of water and sugar is variable based on your pitcher size and how sweet the melon is. So everything is to taste.
Enjoy immediately over crushed ice or allow it to chill and drink it cold later.
There are variations to this drink. Some people put milk or vanilla. I think it would be great with coconut milk or muddled mint. However you make it, it’s a refreshing drink for a hot summer day!
What is your favorite “traditional” drink? Post in the comments below!
- 1 very ripe cantaloupe
- 2 quarts water (or whatever will fit into your pitcher)
- 1/2 cup sugar (or to taste)
- Melon Grater or Food Processor with a Grater Attachment
- Large Pitcher
- Cut cantaloupe in half and de-seed. If using a melon scraper, fully scrape both sides.
- If using a food processor, cut melons into spears and remove the rind. Grate the melon using the food processor.
- Add the grated melon and any extra juice into the pitcher.
- Add water and taste to determine how much sugar to add
- Start adding 1/4 cup of sugar and add more sugar to your taste.
- Chill and serve
- When picking a cantaloupe, choose the one with the strongest scent.