You are invited to attend the…
Multicultural Interfaith Holiday Variety Show and Christmas Pageant at St. Everybody’s Non-Denominational Universalist Church
Hosted by the Reduced Shakespeare Company
Okay, so St. Everybody’s Non-Denominational Universalist Church is not real. However, the Reduced Shakespeare Company is. Last Friday I was invited to watch the opening of “The Ultimate Christmas Show (abridged)” presented by the San Diego Repertory Theatre at the Lyceum. I’ve been to “the Rep” (as locals know it) many times as a teen. The Rep is an intimate venue with an open stage layout. When you watch a show here, you feel like you are part of the show. I couldn’t think of a more perfect venue for the Reduced Shakespeare Company.
The Reduced Shakespeare Company presented an irreverent take on the holidays, claiming that you will:
- LEARN! How Santa saved Christmas!
- SING! The Ultimate Reduced Christmas Carol!
- CELEBRATE! Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and Saturnalia!
- CRINGE! At the origin of the term “Nutcracker!”
- MEMORIZE! New lyrics to “The 12 Days of Christmas” with iPads, not Lords A Leaping!
- GASP! At the shocking history of our best-loved Christmas traditions!
I have to say, we did all that and LIKED it and LAUGHED the whole time. The moment you step into the theatre it feels as if you’re at a church’s to see the schedule and purchase tickets. You’ll be glad you watched the show!
Disclosure: I received tickets to watch the show. In no other way was I compensated for a review. All opinions stated here are my own.